Airport Planning & Development
The Muskegon County Airport is a key community asset. A key tool used by the County in the management of this asset is airport planning and development.
Airport planning and development is a systematic process utilized to establish guidelines for the efficient development of the airport consistent with local, state, and national goals. A key objective of airport planning is to assure the effective use of airport resources in order to satisfy the aviation demand of the community in a financially feasible manner. It provides the foundation for operation of the airport to meet the needs of the users by creating a plan not only for the development but also for the process used to implement the planned projects. A number of federal requirements govern various development projects, as well as the planning and development process.
Airport planning may be as broad based as the national system plan or more centrally focused as an airport master plan or individual project for a specific airport. The primary types of airport planning may be classified as follows:
- National System Planning (NPIAS)
- State Airport System Planning (SASP)
- Metropolitan Airport System Planning
- Local Airport Master and Project Development Planning
The airport master plan typically represents the airport’s blueprint for long-term (5-20 year) development. A few of the goals of a master plan are:
- To provide a graphic representation of existing airport features, future airport development and anticipated land use.
- To establish a realistic schedule for implementation of the proposed development.
- To identify a realistic financial plan to support the development.
- To validate the plan technically and procedurally through investigation of concepts and alternatives. on technical, economic and environmental grounds.
- To prepare and present a plan to the public that adequately addresses all relevant issues and satisfies local, state and federal regulations.
- To establish a framework for a continuous planning process.
The Airport is currently developing a Strategic Business Plan to complement the Airport Master Plan process.
Keep up to date on development projects at the Airport.
Airport Business Park
Keep up to date on development projects at the Airport Business Park.
Find out more about incentives for developing at the Airport.
Get the latest on private development at the Airport.
Airport Economic Impact
Find out more about how the airport impacts economic development in Muskegon County.